What is #CompassionateBanes? Read our full vision here (March 2019)
"Bath and North East Somerset is a Compassionate Community in which people are inspired and supported to look after themselves and each other". Read more here
A recent study by The Co-op and the British Red Cross reveals over 9 million people in the UK across all adult ages – more than the population of London – are either always or often lonely. Research commissioned by Eden Project initiative The Big Lunch found that disconnected communities could be costing the UK economy £32 billion every year.
In the face of these kind of worrying statistics how can we try to make the most of existing supportive networks like family, friends and neighbours in Bath and North East Somerset and help people to build new ones? What kinds of community activity are currently taking place in Bath & North East Somerset where people can make friendships, build a community and share big life events?
3SG are working with stakeholders across our region to launch a Compassionate Community B&NES. Compassionate Communities is a global movement that recognises that all natural cycles of sickness and health, birth and death, and love and loss occur everyday within local organisations and society. A Compassionate Community recognises that care for one another at times of crisis and loss is not simply a task solely for health and social services but is everyone’s responsibility.
If developing a stronger, more welcoming and inclusive community in Bath & North East Somerset sounds like something you or your organisation want to be involved in then please contact us. If you use Twitter use the hashtag #CompassionateBanes to highlight your local community good news stories and partnerdhip working.
Work already taking place in B&NES
ACE Neighbours Project
Keynsham Action Network
Later Life Connections
3SG have already started conversations with a number of key local stakeholders such as the B&NES CCG, Virgin Care, Curo, local GP's and others to develop a vision for creating a Compassionate Community in Bath & North East Somerset. We have attempted to map what these relationships might look like in the diagram below whilst recognising that it is local people who will be at the heart of this project:
Resources from launch event on 14th November 2018
Many thanks to those of you who came to the Compassionate Communities (CC) launch event in November 2018. It was great to hear directly from Health Connections Mendip and the feedback from the event was really positive and we are excited about working with you all to take this initiative forward.
The story so far and next steps:
1. Over 50 people from a range of organisations came to our launch event on November 14th 2018 and shared experiences, ideas and aspirations for the future
2. Based on the discussions and feedback from the event members of 3SG will be working with the current Compassionate Communities Steering Group to create a draft CC vision document which we hope to share with you prior to Christmas.
3. As a steering group we will come up with some next steps, including consideration of the role of the group itself and its membership.
In the meantime:
4. Mike Plows from the Community Volunteering Service and the @Banes3SG account has already started tagging tweets with #CompassionateBanes on Twitter. If there's something you're working on that falls under the theme of reducing social isolation, loneliness, supporting people with long-term illness, bereavement or just making our community a better place then please tag it with the hashtag!
5. 3SG presented a short summary of our ideas for CC to the Health & Wellbeing Board last week. In attendance were people like Jane Shayler (Director of Integrated Health and Care Commissioning), Kirsty Matthews (Virgin Care), Ashley Ayre (B&NES Council CEO), Ian Orpen (Chair B&NES CCG) and Tracey Cox (CEO B&NES CCG). All of them were very keen to support this project in 2019 which is a great endorsement to get at this early stage.
6. We have started adding resources to our website for this project which you can see on this page including a map of the likely stakeholders.
Compassionate Communities Master Presentation
Join our Compassionate Communities B&NES discussion group on Loomio
Loomio is a private social network 3SG are using to share information about this project. Please join the discussion via the link below: