1. Name - The Bath & North East Somerset Third Sector Group abbreviated to 3SG. This replaces the previous Voluntary Sector Reference Group.
2. Statement of Purpose - The 3SG creates an environment in which representatives from the voluntary, faith, community and social enterprise sector influence local strategic decision making and share relevant events and information.
3. Roles and Responsibilities - The 3SG seeks to:
· Consider and champion views and experiences of the sector, ensuring that the 3SG is a key part of the public services decision making processes
· Act as a mechanism to raise issues and opportunities for the sector as well as develop innovative joint responses
· Support the 3SG representatives on partnerships and boards as appropriate
· Encourage joined up communications across the sector as well as share resources and expertise
· Be a focal point for receiving and disseminating strategic information
· A platform to promote & raise awareness of the activities of these volunteers & organisations.
4. Membership Arrangements
i. Organisational Members
One representative from any constituted third sector organisation working in B&NES can become an Organisational Member of the 3SG. The 3SG Development Manager will maintain an active Organisational Membership list on this website and invite members to the annual open meeting.
ii. Core Group Members
The 3SG has a ‘Core Group’ (of no more than ten people) who are elected annually by no more than one representative of each Organisational Member via attendance at the annual open meeting.
The Core Group members of 3SG will meet quarterly at a closed meeting. They will represent the views of the local 3rd sector & their networks at meetings and disseminate information back out.
The elected members of the 3SG Core Group will consist of senior representatives from a range of local third sector organisations and must be existing Organisational Members of 3SG.
The 3SG has Enablers whose role is to support the local 3rd sector but do not have 3SG voting rights and are not part of the Core Group or Organisational membership. The following enablers will be invited to attend the closed Core Group meetings when possible:
Representatives of the following boards and networks will attend the closed Core Group meetings when possible and act in a support and advisory capacity. They will also feed in information and consult with the 3SG Core Group on a regular basis. Ideally many of the Core Group members will also be Representatives and sit on other networks and boards such as the following:
a) Chairing - The Chair and Vice-Chair should be annual appointments elected by the Core Group.
b) PSB Representation - The Core Group will annually appoint its representative for the Public Services Board.
c) Meetings - Core Group meetings of 3SG shall take place quarterly and will be closed meetings. Enablers and Representatives are encouraged to attend these meetings. The agenda will be circulated a week before the meeting. An annual open meeting will be held once a year where there will be an opportunity for the Organisational Membership to elect the ten Core Group members.
- The 3SG will be declared quorate when three of its Core Group members are in attendance.
- Outside of these meetings, discussions will be supported through virtual mechanisms such as Loomio and this website.
- Support shall be provided where appropriate by B&NES Council
d) Agenda Management - The Development Manager will manage meeting agendas and invite members to contribute discussion points through:
· Forward planning section of a meeting
· Requests from Organisational Members sent to the chair or coordinator prior to meetings
· Requests from the wider sector sent to 3SG Core Group members (forwarded to chair or Development Manager) prior to meetings