Do you want to make a difference in the fight against climate change?
We are seeking a School Support and Data Officer for Energy Sparks, a charity working towards a sustainable future in which the school community is at the heart of measurable action to tackle climate change. Energy Sparks equips children and young people with the knowledge, skills, and tools to take practical action in their school and wider community to reduce carbon emissions. We enable school leaders, staff and communities to better understand and reduce their school’s energy consumption and introduce wider measures to reduce their carbon footprint. This is an exciting opportunity to make a real difference to climate change by supporting the delivery of data driven learning opportunities to teach young people how to cut carbon emissions in their schools.
- Salary: Up to £30,000 dependent on experience
- Initial short term contract of a minimum of 3 months as maternity cover with the expectation of extension subject to ongoing funding
- Home working with occasional team meetings in Bath
- Energy Sparks is willing to consider flexible working or reduced hours for the right candidate.
- Post holder must already have the legal right to work in the UK.
Application deadline: 10th May 2023
To start June 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter
Energy Sparks (https://energysparks.uk/) is an online energy analysis tool and energy education programme specifically designed to help schools reduce their electricity and gas usage through the analysis of smart meter data. Energy Sparks helps pupils and the wider school community to reduce their school’s carbon emissions, and make a real contribution to addressing the 'climate emergency'. Energy Sparks started in 2017 in Bath, and is now working with over 1000 schools across the UK. All staff work remotely with the core staff team based in the Bath area.
About the role
This role is providing maternity cover and is for a minimum of 3 months initially with a start date no later than July 2023. Ideally we are looking for a June start date. We expect to extend the contract subject to ongoing funding. For the right candidate, we are also willing to consider the role as a 3 month summer internship, which would be suitable for an undergraduate or postgraduate student.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact, Claudia Towner, Energy Sparks CEO on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01225 723924
School Support and Data Officer Role Job Description
- Liaise with energy suppliers, meter operators, local authority and multi-academy trust officers to add new meters to Energy Sparks’ data feeds, resolve data gaps and quality issues.
- Liaise with local authority and multi-academy trust officers and schools to arrange letters of authority and other permission requirements to provide Energy Sparks with access to schools’ energy data.
- Manage the weekly/bi-weekly manual data requests from some energy suppliers with no automated data provision to Energy Sparks, including tracking and loading data received.
- Keep accurate meter and issue records using our in-built tools to allow effective meter and data management and school support.
- Review and resolve data quality and loading issues using our in-built tools and reports.
- Collect and report on agreed metrics to the Energy Sparks team.
- Ensure user data is managed effectively to allow easy communication with different user groups.
- Set up new schools on Energy Sparks, reviewing and activating new accounts and liaising with school users, multi-academy trusts, local authorities and other partners.
- Work with local authorities, multi-academy trusts and other partners to recruit schools to Energy Sparks.
- Support school users to engage effectively with Energy Sparks tools and resources to drive more engagement and impact.
- Obtain feedback from school users to guide future tool and programme development and to assess impact.
- Monitor and contribute to internal and external evaluation of Energy Sparks’ work
This will be a varied role within a small staff team and an ability to embrace a diversity of tasks is essential.
- Evidence of analytical, communication and problem-solving ability.
- An interest in sustainability
- Experience of data management
- Excellent IT skills and adept working in Excel and Google sheets
- Highly organised with outstanding attention to detail
- Persuasive and persistent in obtaining accurate school energy data from energy companies and meter operators
- Able to liaise with school, multi-academy trust and local authority staff at all levels in a confident manner.
- Ability to work independently but collaboratively with others in the Energy Sparks team
- Be able to prioritise your own tasks and time.
- Willing to learn
Full training on our system, energy data, and energy savings will be provided, so prior experience of energy data is not necessary.
- Up to £30,000 dependent on experience
- 12% employer pension contribution
- 30 days paid annual leave plus bank holidays
- Opportunity for part-time or flexible working for the right candidate.
- The opportunity to really make a difference reducing carbon emissions and helping young people to live sustainable lives.
Application deadline: 10th May 2023
Please send the following by email to email@example.com:
- A full curriculum vitae including two references with their full contact details
- A covering letter setting out your reasons for applying and how you consider that you meet the person specification for this post.
Applicants are encouraged to find out more about Energy Sparks at http://www.energysparks.uk
To be considered for this role, all applicants must currently have the right to work in the UK or will have secured the right to work in the UK by the date of commencement of employment.
Energy Sparks is an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Energy Sparks School Support and Data Officer
Up to £30,000 plus 30 days holiday and 12% employer's pension contribution
37.5 hours a week (open to part-time/flexible working for the right candidate)
Initial short term contract of a minimum of 3 months as maternity cover with the expectation of extension subject to ongoing funding
Work from home, but ideally available for occasional training and meetings in Bath
Wednesday, 10 May 2023