Trauma Breakthrough Treasurer/Trustee
Trauma Breakthrough is looking for a skilled and dedicated person with experience of managing financial affairs in an organisational setting to join our board of trustees. This person will take the role of treasurer for the organisation, and will have a particular focus on helping the senior management team to maintain and strengthen the charity’s financial position.
The role would suit someone with experience of organisational financial management in the business, public or third sector.
The time commitment currently required is approximately 0.5 to 1 day per month.
The main aspects of the role are to:
● Maintain an overview of the charity's financial affairs
● Help ensure its financial viability
● Help ensure that proper financial records and procedures are maintained
● To attend scheduled meetings of the board
● To attend other meetings and events as requested by the board and CEO
General Trustee responsibilities
● To ensure that Trauma Breakthrough complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations or requirements of regulatory bodies which govern the activities of the charity.
● To ensure that Trauma Breakthrough pursues its objectives as defined in its governing document and focuses on the strategic direction of the organisation.
● To ensure that Trauma Breakthrough applies its resources appropriately in pursuance of its objectives.
● To contribute actively to the Trustee Board’s role in giving clear strategic oversight to the organisation, and along with the CEO setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
● To safeguard the good name and values of the organisation.
● To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
● To ensure the financial stability of the organisation.
● To support the CEO and monitor their performance.
● To work with the CEO to create conditions in which the staff team are confident and enabled to provide information, advice and feedback to the board where needed.
In addition to the above statutory duties, the Treasurer should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the board of trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve:
● Scrutinising board papers
● Leading discussions
● Focusing on key issues
● Providing guidance on new initiatives
● Other issues in which the trustee has special expertise.
Additional duties of the Treasurer
● Overseeing the preparation, presentation and approval of budgets, accounts and financial statements with the CEO
● Being assured that the financial resources of the organisation are adequate to meet its present and future needs
● Working with the CEO to ensure that the charity has an appropriate reserves policy
● Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place
● Liaising with the CEO about financial matters
● Advising on the financial implications of the organisation's strategic plans
● Working with the CEO to ensure the organisation's compliance with legislation
● Working with the CEO to ensure the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders and relevant bodies, ie. Charity Commission
● Working with the CEO to ensure that the accounts are scrutinised in the manner required and any recommendations are implemented
● Keeping the Trustee Board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
● Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the Annual General Meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way
● Sitting on appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary panels as required.
● Commitment to the organisation, its vision, mission and values
● Strategic vision
● The ability to make clear, well-judged decisions
● Ability to think creatively
● Willingness to speak their mind
● Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
● Financial qualifications and/or relevant experience
● Experience of organisational finance, fundraising and pension schemes
● Experience of interpreting and presenting management accounts and budgets
● The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences
● Preparedness to make difficult or challenging recommendations to the board where required
● Willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis.
0.5 to 1 day per month
Tuesday, 30 August 2022