Job title: Warehouse Supervisor/ Membership Support Officer
Reporting to: Warehouse Manager, Working with Regional Team
Salary: £19,000 - £21,000 per annum
Hours: 37.5 hours per week (evening shift and weekend work)
Terms: Permanent, Full-time, 25 days Holiday (exc. Bank Holidays), 5% pension contribution
Responsible for: Volunteers
About FareShare South West:
FareShare South West (FSSW) is part of the national FareShare U.K. (FSUK) network of
surplus food redistribution charities.
We fight food poverty by tackling food waste. We source quality surplus food – from food
retailers, manufacturers, and suppliers – engaging volunteers to redistribute to local
charities and community groups that provide meals to vulnerable people (individuals who
are homeless, unemployed, socially isolated, recovering from addictions, etc.). Our food is
a vital lifeline for children and families, people on low incomes, people who have lost their
jobs, the homeless, refugees, domestic abuse survivors, the elderly, and keyworkers.
Purpose of the post:
Working with the Warehouse Manager and the Warehouse Team to effectively support the
warehouse operation, incoming goods, storage, and dispatch of goods to Community Food
Members (CFMs) receiving surplus food from FareShare Southwest - to high levels of
compliance and service. This role will include coordination of a large and diverse team of
volunteers throughout the week.
This role will also work across the Regional team (Membership) to champion our charity
service for our members within the warehouse operations, in order to ensure high levels of
satisfaction and retention.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Working with the Warehouse Manager, ensure the smooth running of food intake,
storage, and food distribution. Liaising with food industry representatives, FareShare
UK (FSUK), distribution companies and hauliers.
• Support the Warehouse Manager in coordinating and maintaining the fleet of vans and
• Ongoing support to the Warehouse Manager and Head of Compliance to ensure high
levels of compliance in the warehouse and for internal/external audits.
• Alongside the Warehouse Team and Regional Manager, reduce waste and maximise the
distribution of surplus food to CFMs.
• Report to Warehouse Manager with operational improvements to increase efficiency
and implement agreed changes.
• Manage (under the direction of the Warehouse Manager) teams of volunteers, assigning
tasks, and supervising work to ensure all tasks completed effectively.
• Ensure all warehouse volunteers are effectively supported and trained for allocated
warehouse/job-specific tasks/roles and have the opportunities to develop.
• Supporting the volunteers’ health, safety, and welfare during their shift.
• Coordinate corporate volunteer programmes and delivery, with support from the wider
Goods In and Storage
• Follow FSSW Goods in procedures including liaising with suppliers, completing relevant
paperwork, using inhouse software and fork-lifting duties.
• Ensure pickable and non-pickable areas are ready to receive goods in and dispatch
orders at all times.
• Manage storage of stock within the warehouse, including:
o Assisting with stock checks
o Ensuring effective stock rotation and sharing best practice
• Oversee the dispatch of goods through deliveries and collections ensuring all FSSW
procedures are followed.
• Liaise with the FSSW team and FSUK to report quality, quantities, and other issues.
• Champion the on-boarding of new members within the Warehouse team by ensuring
high levels of quality of food/orders, particularly over their initial trial period.
• Lead on quality control of food orders in the warehouse, particularly for key
• Lead on resolving daily queries and issues from our existing members within the
Warehouse Operations team (e.g., food issues, late vans, product recalls), to
ensure high levels of customer service to our members
• Liaise between the Membership Team and Warehouse Operations- keep up to date
with membership developments, including any requests for a change to service.
• Use the Charity’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system to manage
engagement with members, escalating to the Membership Team as necessary.
• Make changes/updates to the Delivery Schedule from feedback from
volunteers/staff drivers or members – including food profile, contact details,
addresses, delivery instructions.
• Order writing – supporting/working with/covering the CFM Support Officer, writing
orders for allocated Members/Routes.
• Champion and support key developments to membership service within the
warehouse team e.g. Bulk Pallet deliveries, development of Surplus Surplus
Compliance and Health & Safety
• Operate according to the FareShare HACCP Food Safety Manual.
• Support the Warehouse Manager to ensure compliance with relevant Food Hygiene,
Health & Safety, and other standards applicable to FareShare premises, vehicles,
refrigeration equipment, staff, and volunteers.
• Ensure warehouse complies with FareShare standards and processes as per the FSSW
• Undertake relevant training in Food Hygiene and Health & Safety as required.
• Respond to/answer any enquiries/communications via telephone, email, in person or
via inhouse IT/systems.
• Be willing to receive and engage positively with any visitors to the warehouse.
• Support FSSW events.
• Carry out any other duties that may reasonably be required in support of the main
purpose of the role, including liaising with the wider FSSW team.
• Uphold high quality customer care and standards of conduct when dealing with all
stakeholders and the general public.
• Ensure the security of the FSSW Regional Centre and all assets located within it,
including food, and maintained at all times
• Driving and fork-lifting duties where appropriate.
Essential knowledge, skills, and experience
• At least 1 year’s experience of working in warehousing operations
• Experience in customer facing roles
• Initiative and energy, able to work independently and in teams.
• Ability to develop, initiate and maintain systems and procedures
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Good administrative and organisational ability
• Problem solver and competent decision maker
• Full UK driving licence
• IT competent and able to use various IT platforms/systems
• A clear commitment to the ethos of FareShare South West, and to the agreed plans
of the organisation, and able to positively contribute towards its achievement
• Experience and knowledge of adhering to health and safety standards within a
• Fork Lift Truck operators’ qualification (or willing to train as an essential part of
Desirable knowledge, skills & experience:
• Previous experience of using a CRM
• Voluntary sector experience
• Experience of working with people who require support
• Experience of working within a food operation
• Qualification in Food & Hygiene Level 2
• Experience of supervising/managing staff and/or volunteers and delegating tasks
• Experience of delivering training
Warehouse Supervisor & Membership Support Officer
£19,000 - £21,000 per annum
37.5 hours per week (evening shift and weekend work)
Usual working hours will be Monday to Friday between 8.30 am – 5.00 pm, but the role
could require evening shifts, weekends and flexible working hours.
The role is based at Unit 4, Little Ann Street, St Judes, Bristol, BS2 9EB, but would be
subject to working at other FareShare and partner locations across the South West.
Thursday, 19 May 2022