About St John’s Foundation
St John’s Foundation is a local charity that has supported the people of Bath and the
surrounding area for almost 850 years. Today, we work with our partner organisations to build
communities where children can grow into happy, healthy, and educated members of society,
while continuing to honour our founding principle of supporting older adults to live
Every aspect of our work is built upon our values of trust, kindness, and courage, and inspired
by our purpose: To change lives. For good.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to work for a values-driven organisation with a people-centred
culture. The role sits within the Governance and People team, and you will work with
colleagues across the organisation. As we are a small organisation, you will be at the heart of
HR administration and compliance providing opportunity for professional development across
a range of skills.
Post: HR Administrator
Team: Governance and People
Reporting to: Head of Governance and People
Location: Bath (the role will be primarily office-based but there will be an option to
work from home up to two days a week once the probation period has
Hours of work: 35 hours per week, Monday – Friday
Contract: Permanent contract with salary of £26,280
The HR Administrator will provide professional, efficient, and accurate administrative services to the charity and its trading subsidiary using their experience in HR to support our employees.
Principal Accountabilities and Standards
• Manage employee records
• Maintain best practice and compliance with HR standards/ regulations
• Drive continuous improvement in key HR processes.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Manage employee records – Keep the HR system up to date and accurate with employee
information and, where appropriate, coach line managers to take accountability for their
team’s information. This includes preparing new records for employees, taking minutes in
employee relation matters, and handling all information in a confidential and sensitive way.
Compliance with HR standards – Supporting staff with routine HR enquiries and escalating
concerns and risks to senior management. Ensuring policies, procedures, and other
documentation is in line with best practice.
Drive continuous improvement in key HR processes – Work with the Head of Governance
and People to identify and implement opportunities for streamlining HR processes.
Recommend ways that our HR function can deliver a more equitable service to our employees
and proactively work to driving an inclusive culture.
The HR Administrator will also undertake any other duties as may be required from time to
time to fulfil the needs of the Foundation
• Proven experience as an HR assistant, staff assistant or relevant human
• Experience working with large volumes of information with attention to detail
• Experience working in a confidential environment
• Experience taking formal minutes in a HR setting
• Experience in writing policies and procedures
• Experience implementing HR processes in an efficient and equitable way
• Experience of managing conflicting priorities and working under pressure
Knowledge & Skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to deal calmly with challenging situations
• Good English in verbal and written communication
• Ability to work under own initiative in an efficient and organised way
• Proficient and confident computer user
• Knowledge of change management and project management processes
• Knowledge of process mapping
• Ability to influence at all levels of an organisation
• Patient, tactful, diplomatic, and approachable
• Enthusiasm and willingness to develop new skills and takes great pride in their work
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Self-motivated with a ‘can do’ attitude driven by good initiative
Education & Qualifications
• CIPD Level 3
• Trained as an administrator on IrisHR system
• Equity, diversity, and inclusion training (or related)
• Additional qualifications or training in relevant topics
The successful applicant will also share our values of trust, kindness, and courage and
understand their part in making our office community an inclusive and welcoming place to work.
Top tips for your application
• We would like a covering letter, which you can use to explain your motivation for
applying and to cover any points in the job description and personal specification not
referenced in your CV. If you do not have specific experience in certain areas, then show
us what you have achieved in similar areas or how you have learnt new skills in the
• Proofread your application because this is a role that requires exceptional attention
to detail and excellent business writing. We will be looking for how these skills are
reflected in your application.
• Please reference the job description and personal specification in your application
as this will highlight your potential and suitability for the role.
To apply please submit a CV and covering letter by 5pm on the 31st January to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews will be held on the 6th and 7th of February in our offices in central Bath.
35 hours per week, Monday – Friday
Bath (the role will be primarily office-based but there will be an option to work from home up to two days a week once the probation period has passed)
Tuesday, 31 January 2023