About St John’s Foundation
St John’s Foundation is a local charity that has supported the people of Bath and the surrounding area for almost 850 years. Today, we work with our partner organisations to build communities where children can grow into happy, healthy, and educated members of society, while continuing to honour our founding principle of supporting older adults to live independently.
Every aspect of our work is built upon our values of trust, kindness, and courage, and inspired by our purpose: To change lives. For good.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to work for a values-driven organisation with a people-centred culture. The role sits within a governance team of five people and offers a wide variety of tasks and the opportunity to work with colleagues across the organisation while being part of our social purpose. As we are a small organisation, you will be at the heart of governance and compliance processes providing lots of opportunity for professional development across a range of skills.
Post Governance Officer
Reporting to Governance and Information Manager
Location Bath (the role will be primarily office-based but there will be an option to work from home up to two days a week once the probation period has
Hours of work 35 hours per week, Monday – Friday
Contract Permanent at £27,900
The Governance Officer will provide professional, efficient, and accurate governance and administrative services to the charity and its trading
subsidiary including the board, the committees, executives, and senior managers.
Principal Accountabilities and Standards
• Manage each committee / board round to a high standard
• Provide assurance on compliance across the organisation
• Complete varied tasks to a high standard that support good governance at St John’s.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Board governance - Manage each committee /board round to a high standard by driving the preparation of agendas, reports, and completion of matters arising including creating and distributing board packs by collating, proofreading, and overseeing version control and approval of papers.
Assurance – Provide assurance on compliance across the organisation. By, for example, ensuring that policies and procedures are accessible, compliant, and up to date.
Directorate support - Carry out research on varied subjects as required and recognise and act on opportunities to complete administrative tasks.
The Governance Officer will also:
• Attend training and team meetings
• Engage in the performance development review process
• Be aware of health and safety requirements at all times
• Undertake any other duties as may be required from time to time to fulfil the needs of the Foundation
Deadline: 12pm on Thursday 15th December
Top tips for your application
• We would like a covering letter, which you can use to explain your motivation for applying and to cover any points in the job description and personal specification not referenced in your CV. If you do not have specific experience in certain areas, then show us what you have achieved in similar areas or how you have learnt new skills in the past.
• Proofread your application because this is a role that requires exceptional attention to detail and excellent business writing. We will be looking for how these skills are reflected in your application.
• Please reference the job description and personal specification in your application as this will highlight your potential and suitability for the role.
The job description and personal specification can be found here.
To apply please submit a CV and covering letter to email@example.com or via Indeed.
• The deadline for applications is 12pm on 15th December.
• We plan to hold interviews on the morning of the 20th and afternoon of the 21st of December in our offices in central Bath.
• Ideally, the successful applicant would then start at St John’s in January. However, there is some flexibility and start date will be discussed at interview.
35 hours per week, Monday – Friday
Bath (the role will be primarily office-based)
Thursday, 15 December 2022