The Trustee (HR/Employment Law) will oversee and support the legal and human resources activities of OTR in line with good practice and in accordance with the governing document and legal requirements. They will work with SMT to report to the Board at regular intervals about issues that affect the charity in relation to changes in employment law or HR issues affecting the organisation.
To the extent that the expertise falls outside the specific expertise or knowledge of the trustee then they shall ensure that further expertise is recommended to the Board and sourced if approved.
The purpose of the role
To ensure the Board of Trustees has appropriate oversight of HR and employment issues and can give or seek advice where appropriate.
- Liaising with the SMT and the board if required, regarding any changes to employment law/ HR issues which may affect the charity
- Bringing to the Board’s attention any relevant legal obligations to enable the charity to remain compliant with all legal requirements
- Being instrumental in the development, risk assessment, review and implementation of new policies and ensuring that procedures are in place for the same
- Advising the Director and Board, when assistance is requested or where issues are brought to Trustees’ attention, in relation to any employment law/ HR issues that may arise
- Advising the Director and Board when further specialist advice may be required and assisting in sourcing the same, wherever possible and appropriate on a pro bono basis.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a Trustee who has excellent HR or employment law experience. You may have a HR or legal background and you are not expected to have expertise across all areas. If external advice is required outside your expertise, the Director and SMT will work with you to source the support that the organisation needs.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send us a letter or a short film of less than 5 minutes explaining why you would like to be a trustee and what you will bring to the role to Phil Walters, Director via email: firstname.lastname@example.org . If you would like to speak to Phil before making an application to find out more about the role we would be happy to hear from you. Please contact Phil if you have any access requirements or if we can make reasonable adjustments so that the interview process is more accessible.
Please also complete the equal opportunities form provided.
Deadline for applications: 25th June 2023
Timing for interviews: w/c 10th July 2023
If you would like to have a phone conversation before applying, please email Phil Walters, Director to arrange a conversation.
Please note, this position requires an enhanced DBS disclosure that we’ll carry out before appointment along with two references.
1-2 hrs per month
4-5 Board meetings per year
Bath based - BA1 1JW
Sunday, 25 June 2023