Trustee / Chairperson
The Woodworks Project, Bath, are looking for 3 new Trustee with one to move into role of Chairperson within 3-6 months of appointment.
The Woodworks Project
The Woodworks Project is a Bath-based charity that empowers people to find their purpose, through woodworking and upholstery, in a creative and supportive environment. The Woodworks Project was set up to help people facing difficulties through their mental or physical health, or who have a history of addiction. The charity offers opportunities for people in Bath and surrounding areas to participate in engaging activities, whilst learning traditional crafts skills from highly trained and compassionate tutors and their wellbeing is supported by a caring and experienced Wellbeing Officer.
The Board of Trustees took the step of hibernating the charity’s operations during the pandemic, while taking the time to conduct a strategic review.
The Trustees had determined that in order to ensure the long-term future of the charity, we needed secure a number of diverse funding and revenue streams. Integral to this financial model was an operating model that increased the number of people ‘coming through’ the workshop, whether as funded clients or through paid courses.
Prior to the outbreak of Covid-19, we had made significant investment, in both time and resources, to refurbish and relocate to our new workshop. We are proud of the teams’ hard work and are proudly reopening our doors to an inviting and well-equipped work environment.
While much work has been done, there remains a lot to do to ensure ongoing progress and secure the charity’s long-term future. We are looking for an individual to join the Board, initially as a Trustee, with a view to familiarising themselves with the charity, shadowing our current Chair and taking over the role of Chairperson within 3-6 months.
As a small charity, we need our Trustees to provide strategic direction and oversight but there are times when we need to call upon Trustees to provide practical, hands-on support. We need our Trustees to be enthusiastic, engaged and work collaboratively.
Across the charity, we look for all our people to demonstrate and role model the following qualities
· Honest, with integrity and commitment to the values and aims of the charity.
· Committed to equality, diversity and social inclusion. Able to sensitively accommodate different needs and circumstances. Be positive about working with people with different experiences, backgrounds and perspectives.
· Open, approachable, good communicator. Able to build trust and rapport with Clients, Board, Employees, Volunteers and stakeholders in the Charity.
· Flexible and emotionally resilient. Able to maintain a sense of perspective and prioritise the needs of our clients and the best interests of the charity.
· Experience of / interest in woodworking and upholstery and commitment to craftsmanship.
The duties of a trustee are as follows: -
· Ensuring the charity is carrying out its purposes for the public benefit;
· Complying with the charity’s governing document and the law;
· Acting in the charity’s best interests;
· With your co-trustees, making balanced and adequately informed decisions, thinking about the long term as well as the short term;
· Managing the charity’s resources responsibly;
· Using reasonable care and skill, making use of your skills and experience and taking appropriate advice when necessary;
· Giving enough time, thought and energy to your role;
· Preparing for and actively participating in all trustees’ meetings; and
· Ensuring the charity is accountable
· Following proper and formal arrangements for the appointment, supervision, support, appraisal and remuneration of the CEO
In addition to the above statutory duties, each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the board of trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives, or other issues in which the trustee has special expertise.
While we welcome any applicant with suitable skills and qualifications, experience within the charity or public sector, particularly within BANES would be very valuable. In addition, experience working with vulnerable people and / or those with specific needs and knowledge of safeguarding would be beneficial.
Ideally, trustees will be based in or near Bath, however, the organisation is very much open to applications from further afield.
Benefits for Trustees
This is an opportunity to work with an organisation which assists a huge variety of vulnerable individuals from the local community. You will play a key role in shaping and growing the organization. You will work with a passionate and friendly team who love what they do and who are committed to supporting vulnerable people as well as the trades of Woodworking and Upholstery and principles of sustainability.
Before you apply
Application is by CV and a covering letter which should state why you wish to work with the organisation, how your skills would add value to the Board and any other relevant information that you wish for us to consider.
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
Trustee / Chair
Attend 2 hours meeting every 1-2 months
Saturday, 24 December 2022