To lead all fundraising and communication activity at RICE, develop new opportunities and income streams and ensure existing income is maintained and improved. As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) you will work closely with colleagues across the organisation to deliver on income targets and strategy and participate in Board of Trustee meetings.
RICE is an independent charity and an internationally renowned centre for dementia research, diagnosis and treatment. Our research aims to improve life for people with dementia and their families and carers, and to find drug and non-drug treatments for people with conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease and other diseases predominantly affecting older people. Our contracted NHS Memory Clinic service and allied activities also provide support to patients, families and carers. We are currently in an ambitious phase of development to increase significantly our clinical and academic research programme. We work closely with the Universities of Bath, Bristol and other research institutions, both nationally and internationally, and with the Royal United Hospital.
The role would suit an experienced fundraising and communications manager who has both a strategic and operational ‘hands on’ approach to income generation and communication work, and a track record of setting and achieving financial targets.
You will have proven experience of successful and significant income growth across multiple income streams and delivering communication activity to support and promote work.
This is a varied role requiring energy, strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work on multiple projects at once. You will be joining RICE at an exciting time in its development and you will be able to shape the fundraising and communication activity of the charity. This role will be key to achieving our strategic growth, influence and awareness over the coming years.
You will be highly organised, able to manage multiple income streams and to create opportunities, analyse results and plan future pipeline.
1. Income Generation and Strategy
- Develop, implement and lead the charity’s fundraising and communication strategy aligned to the wider organisational strategy.
- Grow income across multiple income streams including trusts and foundations, major donors, corporate and community engagement and legacies and develop further the funding pipeline; produce analysis and post-grant impact reports.
- Develop and produce trust and grant funding applications, looking for new project ideas within RICE and working with other third sector organisations in partnership where appropriate.
- Work with the Chief Executive Officer to build on and extend relationships with major donors and supporters.
- Establish relationships and income generation opportunities with corporate partners to gain ongoing and longer-term support.
- Build our community engagement and challenge event income streams with support from the Communications Officer.
- Establish and manage an effective legacies programme.
- Identify and pursue new opportunities with a variety of audiences to help widen RICE’s profile and diversify its income streams.
- Build relationships with local and national media, gain increased coverage for activities and campaigns at RICE, and oversee the development of RICE’s social media channels with the Communications Officer and freelance contracts.
- Promote the work of RICE to visitors, special interest groups and members of the public, and represent RICE at external functions.
- Oversee the production of the RICE newsletters, determining target audiences and tailored communications.
- Build relationships with other relevant health and social care organisations to promote RICE and its activities.
- Support clinical and research colleagues in producing patient and carer information booklets.
- To be responsible for the RICE web site.
3. Volunteers and community support
- With the Communications Officer build, develop and grow community support for RICE to enable the charity to have a visible local presence to raise our profile and income generation.
- Develop a fundraising volunteer group to support and further develop fundraising and broader charity activities.
- At least three years of working in a fundraising and/or communications role within the charity sector with a proven track record of successfully securing funds.
- Experience in two or more of the following areas: major donor, trust and foundation income, corporate partnerships, community engagement
- Experience of marketing, communications and/or social media, and the ability to communicate the work of the charity and its impact to a range of external audiences.
- Understanding of charity governance and regulatory requirements as relate to fundraising and communication activities.
- Knowledge of databases and fundraising applications.
- To be familiar with financial information and have experience of planning, managing and achieving annual budgets.
- Ability to plan and manage your varied workload
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and ability to promote the charity using a variety of methods
- Self-directed, confident and proactive
- A flexible and strategic mind set
- Organised, calm under pressure, able to prioritise effectively and work to various deadlines
- Data literate: including Microsoft Office and an understanding of Adobe and Microsoft creative programs or similar
- A current clean driving licence and the availability of a car insured for business use.
- Familiarity with and commitment to health and research charities and/or previous experience of working with people with dementia and with patients in the older age group.
- Membership of Institute of Fundraising or a relevant professional organisation and/or recognised qualification.
- Experience of reporting to a Board of Trustees
RICE strives to be diverse and inclusive and welcomes applications from all individuals whose skills and interests meet the criteria of the position. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. We particularly encourage applications from Black, Asian and minority ethnic candidates, and from disabled candidates, as these groups are under-represented within RICE.
How to apply: Please submit a CV and covering letter outlining how you meet the person specification for the role to Alison Easto, HR and Operations Manager email@example.com
If you would like to discuss this role further please contact Melissa Hillier, Chief Executive Officer: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: 01225 476420
Closing date: 19th July
Interviews: 26th July and 2nd August
Fundraising and communications manager
£22,873.80 (pro-rata) (£38,123FTE)
Bath, Bath And North East Somerset (hybird working available)
Monday, 18 July 2022